Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - big help from the small screen
To publicise the release of one of the biggest UK blockbusters of the summer during one of the most-watched events.
Robbie Ashcroft, Creative Solutions Manager, Vizeum said: "The World Cup Semi Final represents one of the biggest appointment-to-view opportunities of the year and this activation fits perfectly with our continued strategy to use social media and TV to increase excitement around the film's release.
Sarah Francis, Senior Media Promotions Manager, 20th Century Fox said: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is one of our biggest films this year and there are few live showpiece events on the same scale as a World Cup Semi Final. As such, it provides the perfect platform to allow film fans to share the excitement.
Ahead of the film's box office release, 20th Century Fox invited viewers to share their opinions via Twitter with a chance for their tweets to be revealed in the next ad break.
20th Century Fox aired an exclusive scene from Dawn of the Planet of the Apes during ITV's coverage of the World Cup Semi-Finals ahead of its Box Office release. The activity saw a 70" advert air, introducing a scene from the new film during the first half-time break of the semi-final match between Argentina and The Netherlands on Wednesday 9th July 2014. The footage was introduced with a voiceover including a call to action inviting viewers to broadcast their opinions on Twitter using #DawnofApes. A second 40" reactive ad then showcased a selection of the viewers' responses alongside further footage from the film.
- Total tweets to official #dawnofapes = 9,665
- When including other keywords and broader hashtags ('ITV', 'APE', #DawnofthePlanetoftheApes) = 11,727 tweets. This achieved 22.7m impressions (i.e. number of times the tweets were seen).
- The profile of Tweeters was 82% Male
- Viewing figures (average) 11.5m individuals, 2.5 million Ads1624, 1.5 million M1624
- Celebrity tweets, including Chris Moyles & Ashley Banjo
- Number 1 trend in the UK and trended globally.
- Searches around DOTPOTA tripled after the World Cup activity from the previous day and made it the 5th most searched topic in the UK on Wednesday 9th July.
0Total Tweets to official #DawnOfApes
0Trend in the UK