Your privacy is our priority
About this notice
This privacy notice covers the collection and use of your personal information by us and parties that we authorise, such as our suppliers and subcontractors.
It applies to any services relating to or in connection with our website at www.itvmedia.co.uk including services relating to advertising and other commercial opportunities on-and off-air around ITV programmes, channels and/or platforms (the “Services”).
In this notice, "we", "us" and "our" means ITV Broadcasting Limited and any reference to “you” or “your”, means you as user of our Services.
This privacy notice was last updated on 6th June 2019.
What information do we collect?
The information we collect about you depends on how you’re using the Services, but we will only collect your personal information where necessary. Information we may collect includes:
- basic information about yourself, such as your name, email address, telephone number, the organisation you work for and your job title (if applicable) which we ask for when you register an ITV Media account (collectively “Registration Data”). You don’t have to register an account with ITV Media to access and browse on our ITV Media website but some of the content (for instance, exclusive commercial opportunities) may only be available to you if you register for an account.
- contact and relevant information about yourself, such as your name, email address, telephone number, the organisation you work for and your job title (if applicable) that you disclose to us through the Services;
- information about your use of the Services, including details of your internet protocol (IP) address, device identifier, operating system, browser version, cookie details, how long you stayed and on which pages, and your navigation around the Services;
- location data from your IP address or by accessing global positioning functionality on your device (e.g. GPS). We may use this so that we can “geo-block” or regionalise our Services to prevent you from accessing them from outside the United Kingdom;
- other data from time to time to help us improve our communications and provide you with information in relation to commercial opportunities around ITV programmes, channels and/or platforms – for example when we ask you to fill in a survey or questionnaire;
When and how do you collect information?
We (or our authorised third parties) may collect information about you:
- when you register as a user of the Services or update your details;
- when you contact us via the Services, for example when you use our messaging or chat services, or otherwise with an enquiry, request or other feedback about a commercial opportunity;
- when you request to be sent marketing communications such as ITV Media news, including our newsletter and updates on the advance booking deadlines;
- in monitoring your use of the Services;
- when you disclose your personal information to us through the Services or otherwise; and
- from third party suppliers who have confirmed to us that they are authorised to pass your information to us in accordance with your legal right.
We may also combine information that you provide on one Service with information collected from other ITV services and/or ITV Commercial or group sources (including contact details provided to us in the course of business) and/or with information that is publicly available or that we receive from other reputable sources. All information will be stored and used in accordance with this privacy notice.
It‘s your responsibility to ensure that any Registration Data that you provide to us is accurate and kept up to date.
How long do we keep your information for?
We will keep your personal information for only as long as necessary, which is longer in some cases than in others. The length of this retention period depends on the purpose for which the information was obtained and its nature. For example:
- We may need to keep some personal information about you so that we can deal with any complaints you might make about the Services we provide to you.
- If you ask us to stop processing your personal information for direct marketing, we need to retain enough information about you to enable us to ensure we stop including you in applicable direct marketing activities.
- We may need to keep personal information so that we can defend possible future legal claims.
- We may have a legal or regulatory duty to retain particular personal information for a certain minimum period (for example under Ofcom rules, or under HMRC tax rules).
How do we use your information?
We and our authorised third parties may use your information in a variety of ways, to:
- create and maintain a database of contacts for our business purposes;
- contact you in relation to advertising and other commercial opportunities connected to ITV programmes, channels and/or platforms, including without limitation related opportunities with selected third parties that we think may be of interest to you and your advertising client(s) (where applicable);
- assist in and administer the provision of Services to you;
- send you invitations to events that we think may be of interest to you and your advertising client(s) (where applicable);
- monitor, develop and improve the Services, our communications and/or your experience (which may include carrying out analysis on how you (or you on behalf of your business) use the Services);
- process and deal with any complaints or enquiries made by or about you;
- provide you with access to one or more social networking sites from the Services or your ITV Media account (where applicable). If you choose to connect to a social networking site from your ITV Media account or the Services, your personal information may be shared between ITV and your social networking account(s). Any personal information shared with a third party social network provider will be processed in accordance with that social network’s privacy notice; and/or
- geo-block or regionalise our Services to ensure that we comply with our legal obligations.
We’ll only process your personal information where we have legal grounds to do so. Generally, we’ll only process your personal information on the following grounds:
- you have given your consent for the processing. When we rely on consent to process your personal information, you always have the right to withdraw your consent;
- the processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation placed on ITV;
- the processing is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by ITV or by a third party. For example, we have a legitimate interest in using your personal information for direct marketing purposes so that we can send you information about sponsorship and other commercial opportunities around our programming, channels and/or platforms. Also, we have a legitimate interest in understanding and analysing how our Services are used so that we can improve them, and that may involve processing of your personal information. In certain limited circumstances you may have the right to object to processing based on such legitimate interests.
The ITV Media website
When you use the ITV Media website we may process your data in the following ways:
Purpose of processing
Legal grounds for processing
Legitimate interest: We have a legitimate interest in understanding how people are using our Services, both so that we can improve them, and so that we can sell commercial opportunities more effectively. Therefore we may use your personal information to understand and analyse use of our Services.
Geo-blocking content on ITV Media to permitted territories only
Registration Data, device internet protocol (IP) address
Legitimate interest: Our commercial opportunities may only be available in certain territories for legal, rights and/or regulatory reasons. We have a legitimate interest in complying with these restrictions. We may therefore use Registration Data or IP address to work out where in the world you are accessing itvmedia.co.uk from.
Sending ITV Media news, (including our newsletters and updates on the advance booking deadline) or other expressly requested marketing communications to registered users of ITV Media
Consent by ‘opting-in’ to receiving named marketing communications, including ITV Media news (such as newsletters and updates on the advance booking deadlines) to ITV Media registered users
Sending service messages in relation to our services
Legitimate interest: We have a legitimate interest in our clients being informed about commercial service information and we may use your personal information to inform you of any changes to the same.
Sending information relating to specific commercial opportunities around ITV programmes, channels and platforms which we think you (or your client advertisers (where applicable) may be interested in (as opposed to general ITV Media news, which include our newsletters and updates on the advance booking deadline)
Registration Data, data that you may provide to us in a query in respect of the Services and data we collect from other business sources
Legitimate interest: As a commercial broadcaster, we have a legitimate interest in selling commercial opportunities around our programming, channels and platforms to agencies and advertisers. Therefore we may use your personal information for such information and marketing purposes.
Sending information relating to events which we think you may be interested in
Registration Data, data that you may provide to us in a query in respect of the Services and data we collect from other business sources
Legitimate interest: We have a legitimate interest in promoting our products and services and one of the ways we do this is via events. Therefore we may use your personal information to invite you to events we think you may be interested in.
Queries and complaints handling
Registration Data, log-in history, history of engagement with our Services, marketing consents, browser details, device internet protocol (IP) address, device type and data you may provide to us in a query or complaint
Legitimate interest: As a commercial broadcaster, we have a legitimate interest in our users engaging with our Services and improving our Services. Therefore we may use your personal information to manage any queries or complaints you may have.
Will we send you marketing messages?
If you have asked to receive news from ITV Media (including our newsletters and updates on the advance booking deadline) or other marketing or if we have a legitimate interest in sending you information or marketing messages (as set out above), we may:
- contact you by email, telephone or other methods of communication about commercial opportunities around ITV programmes, channels and/or platforms that may be of interest to you and your advertising client(s) (where applicable); and
- contact you by email, telephone or other methods of communication about related products or services of selected third parties that may be of interest to you and your advertising client(s) (where applicable).
You can decide to stop receiving emails or other events or non-essential service messages from us at any time. The easiest way to do this is to click on the 'unsubscribe' link at the bottom of any of the emails. Please note if you unsubscribe from events communications we may still send you communications about commercial opportunities. Equally if you unsubscribe from communications about commercial opportunities, we may still send you events communications.
Any communications referred to in this section are conducted by us on our own behalf, or on behalf of third parties. Unless you’ve given us your consent, we won't give any third party access to your details for marketing.
Do we share your information?
We may pass information about you to other parties as follows:
- to third parties authorised by us and acting on our behalf such as our employees, contractors, suppliers and/or agents to administer our commercial services. These third parties are only allowed access to your information as needed to perform functions of the Services or to provide services to us. They’re not allowed to use it for any other purpose;
- for marketing communications, where we have your consent or are otherwise permitted to do so (see the section above on “Will we send you marketing messages?”);
- as part of general statistical information about our services’ user base, sales patterns, traffic volumes and related matters. These details will not include information from which you could personally be identified;
- if there are changes to our business (see section below on “Changes to our business”).
We may also share your personal information with other parts of the ITV group of companies. We do this to:
- provide you with more comprehensive information in relation to the commercial opportunities relating to ITV programmes, channels and/or platforms;
- provide and/or manage cross- or intergroup services; and
- provide you with information about other services and products you request or which might be of interest to you and your advertising client(s) (where applicable).
What are your rights?
Any personal information you supply will be treated in accordance with applicable data protection laws including the General Data Protection Regulation (the “GDPR”) and any other applicable or superseding legislation. We are committed to delivering the rights that individuals are entitled to under data protection laws in the UK. These are:
- the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you. To do this, please contact us at email@example.com making clear that you are requesting a copy of your personal information and including full details of what you require. You may also be required to submit proof of your identity.
- the right to object to your personal information being used for direct marketing. You will have the ability to opt-out of marketing as set out in the section “Will we send you marketing messages?” above.
- the right to object to your personal information being processed where the legal basis for the processing is our own legitimate interests as a business (see the section “How will we use your information?” above). We will comply with such a request unless there is a lawful reason for not doing so, such as when we need to continue to process your information to defend a legal claim or if this information is necessary for the ongoing provision of our Services.
- the right to rectification. You may request that we correct any inaccurate and/or complete any incomplete personal information.
- the right to withdraw consent. Where we are processing your personal information on the basis that you have given us your consent to do so, you may withdraw your consent at any time.
- the right of erasure. You may request that we erase your personal information and we will comply, unless there is a lawful reason for not doing so. For example, there may be an overriding legitimate ground for retaining your personal information, such as keeping your payment information for several years to comply with HMRC rules.
- the right to data portability. In certain circumstances, you may request that we provide your personal information to you in a structured, commonly used and machine readable format and have it transferred to another provider of the same or similar services to us. Where this right is applicable, we will comply with such transfer as far as it is technically feasible.
- the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority. We suggest that you contact us about any questions or if you have a complaint in relation to how we process your personal information. However, you do have the right to contact the relevant supervisory authority directly. To contact the Information Commissioner’s Office in the United Kingdom, please visit the ICO website for instructions.
What this privacy notice does not cover
This privacy notice doesn’t cover companies, services or applications that we don’t own or control, or people that we don’t employ or manage. This includes (without limitation) third party websites or applications/widgets (e.g. from social media platforms such as Facebook or Twitter) that we link to or offer via our Services.
Also, it doesn’t cover certain pages and services provided via our Services that are hosted, managed and operated by other parties. These third parties, applications and services are wholly independent of us and are solely responsible for all aspects of their relationship with you and any use you may make of them. They may have their own privacy notices and/or terms and conditions of use, which we recommend you read before using.
Service providers based outside Europe
We use certain third party companies to perform some functions of the Services on our behalf or to provide services to us. These third parties are only allowed access to your information as needed to perform such functions or to provide such services. They’re not allowed to use it for any other purpose.
Some of these third party companies are located, or have servers that are located, outside the European Economic Area. Where we share your information with such companies, we take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure your information is treated securely and in accordance with this privacy notice.
However, please note that the data protection and other laws of such countries may not be as comprehensive as those in the European Economic Area. We‘ll only transfer your personal information to a territory outside of the European Economic Area under the following circumstances:
- the European Commission has determined that an adequate level of protection for personal information is in place in the country to which we transfer your data;
- standard data protection clauses as adopted by the European Commission are in place governing the transfer (you can view the standard clauses on the European Union’s legal website at eur-lex.europa.eu); or
- for transfers to the USA, the recipient organisation is a participant in the EU-US Privacy Shield programme.
Changes to our business
If we decide to change or restructure our business we may need to pass your personal information to one of our group companies so we can continue to effectively deliver the Services to you.
Also, if we become involved in a merger, acquisition, restructuring, reorganisation or other transaction involving the sale of some or all of our group companies’ assets, then your information may be included in the assets that are transferred to the new owner and may be provided to the entities and advisors involved. Such a transaction may involve us: (i) retaining the right to continue to use transferred personal information in addition to the right of the new owner to use such information; and (ii) engaging in additional transfers of personal information (including new personal information) with the new owner from time to time following such a transaction.
If there are changes to our business (such as a re-organisation or restructuring), your personal information will remain subject to this privacy notice (as amended from time to time). However, where your personal information is transferred to a new owner following a merger or acquisition it may be subject to a different privacy notice. We, or the new owner, will provide notice to you before any of your personal information becomes subject to a different privacy notice.
How can I change my details?
Where you register your details for the Services and open a user account with ITV Media that you can then use to access and log on to use the Services, you may change or update some of your details at any time by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure that you update your details as soon as possible with all relevant changes.
How can I delete my account?
If you have registered for a user account with ITV Media, you may delete your account at any time by emailing us at email@example.com. If you delete your account, your profile information will be removed and you will be unable to login to ITV Media.
ITV Broadcasting Limited is a company registered in England and Wales (registered number is 955957) with registered office at 2 Waterhouse Square, 140 Holborn, London, EC1N 2AE. Our VAT registration number is 197 0041 67.
The Information Commissioner’s Office (“ICO”) regulates our processing of your personal information. You have the right to lodge a complaint with the ICO. Details of how to contact the ICO can be found on the ICO website at ico.org.uk.
If you wish to contact us about our privacy notice, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.