Yorkshire: PP In 'God's Own Country'
Welcome to Yorkshire was finding it hard to attract visitors to the county. Not only was it the Olympic year with all the focus on London, but Yorkshire’s tourism budget was also cut with the ongoing effects of the recession. Welcome to Yorkshire came to ITV looking for a cost-effective way forward.
Millions of people make their holiday choices based on the places they see in their favourite TV shows.
Emmerdale is, for many people, the best advertising campaign ever produced for Yorkshire – except it doesn’t tell you how to get there or where to stay. Through product placement, we could add the means to point potential visitors in the right direction through signage, which would be seen by 7m viewers each episode.
The campaign saw Welcome To Yorkshire’s website URL integrated into the show through signage. We delivered:
- Yorkshire.com leaflets stood in Eric and Val’s Bed & Breakfast check in area and lounge.
- A Yorkshire.com poster appeared in the café, and a sticker and more leaflets in Emmerdale’s pub, The Woolpack, giving endorsement through venues across the village.
- Two official Welcome To Yorkshire shiny plaques took place by the door of The Woolpack and Eric and Val’s Bed & Breakfast.
- As for the product itself – Yorkshire, with its dales and quaint stone houses – well, the programme was already chock-full of it, so we didn’t need to add any more. This makes this product placement the first and only (to our knowledge) not to place any actual product anywhere!
- Off-screen, we activated our partnership through promotions to Yorkshire.com’s customers, licensed branding for their site and offered set visits for competition winners.
The partnership continues to inspire visitors to God’s Own County:
- 16% more visitors to Yorkshire and 13% more visitor spend – despite 2% less domestic tourism due to the Olympics
- £500k media value delivered on-screen
- Perceived fit was 20% higher and recall of the placement was 30% higher than UK and US product placement norms
Watch the video above to see the product placement in action!
0 %More visitors to Yorkshire
0 %Higher recall of PP compared to norms